Both indoor and outdoor farming can benefit from the use of subsurface irrigation systems. These systems are highly customizable to nearly any need. They are on average less expensive and offer an outstanding level of reliability when properly installed compared to more traditional overhead irrigation methods. But, why should a commercial farmer make the switch to this form of irrigation over other methods?
Subsurface irrigation is growing in importance today. It provides numerous opportunities for large scale and small growers alike. Take a look at some of the reported benefits of subirrigation systems:
• There is an immediate reduction in costs simply because there is no need for a worker to water plants since the subirrigation waters automatically.
• It costs less to water plants more fully. Less water is lost in the process and there’s no run-off.
• Subsurface irrigation systems can free up aboveground space. This can increase the amount of crops produced and less equipment required.
• Crops grown in these conditions may grow more uniformly. The water is evenly distributed across all plants, improving overall growth level. More so, there is less of a need for fertilizer use, which is both good for the environment and for budgeting.
• With less water remaining on the leaves, there is a lowered risk of excessive moisture damage.
In addition to these benefits, subsurface irrigation can be an eco-friendly move. It allows growers to better manage resources and reduces overall mechanical use. Additionally, the use of these systems can help to reduce the need for fertilizer. Used within a greenhouse or outdoors, subsurface irrigation is not complex but it does require a properly designed system for the unique aspects of the project. Overall, subsurface irrigation provides a clear opportunity for most applications.
For more information on subsurface irrigation, contact W.P. Law today!